2022 Strategic Initiative - Focus Area for the NC Agricultural Foundation, Inc.
Facility enhancement isn’t just about new bricks and mortar at CALS. Existing buildings – sturdy but outdated – need uplifts and makeovers to support student instruction, research and extension. Philanthropy ensures a physical environment that supports the endeavors of the next generations of doers. Investment in facilities doesn’t just mean a new roof, it can include creating accessibility for disabled persons, or creating spaces that improve the creative, professional and personal lives of people at NC State and beyond.
- While the NC State University Plant Sciences Building on NC State’s Centennial Campus is one of the largest and newest CALS facility, our College manages hundreds of facilities on NC State main campus, 18 NC State/NCDA&CS research stations, 10 NC State field labs, the Lake Wheeler Farm Research Station and two facilities on the NC Research Campus.
- Youth programs like 4-H and NC FFA also manage several facilities at their respective camp sites in the state.
- The male cabins at NC FFA are soon to be reconstructed to meet the needs of today’s FFA members. The current blueprints include building four larger male dormitories on the property. Updating the male dormitories will provide a safe and updated space that will serve hundreds of FFA members each summer.
- Building a dedicated space to serve as a “living” classroom is part of the JCRA’s current vision to help further our dedication to education. A new Education Annex, placed across from the horticulture staff building, would provide a unique space for educational and research staff. This facility would be the first of its kind at the Arboretum.
- There are many opportunities to honor loved ones and recognize corporate contributions by naming spaces in the state-of-the-art NC State University Plant Sciences Building. Gifts provide support to this important initiative that will deliver a real and positive impact for growers and rural communities in North Carolina and beyond.
- As part of the Agricultural Ecosystem at NC State, the Prestage Department of Poultry Science and the Department of Animal Science manage many facilities to support research and student training in the animal protein sector. Improvement of existing facilities and key additions of additional resources (i.e., BSL2 lab, advanced instrumented production environments and a data analytics hub for precision animal agriculture technology) is critical as NC State continues to train the next generation of leaders in the animal protein industries.